Saturday, May 06, 2006

Kennedy vs Limbaugh

Those that believe that the MSM is into the "equal treatment" concept could look at a small juxtaposition of events in the past week. On April 28, CBS news was running the following headline about Rush Limbaugh's battles with addiction to perscription pain medication. The MSM has been wallowing in enjoyment over the charges against

Rush since 2003. This "arrest" was a political stunt by a well known Democrat prosecutor in Palm Beach county to be able to get another set of headlines and a mug shot. The case is over, he completes the treatment that he voluntarily started and there is nothing left here.

A week later, Representative Patrick Kennedy, driving with no lights on, crashes into a concrete barrier near the Capitol, "late for a vote". The police fail to take a breathalizer. In their defense, one could argue that is a reasonable decision and simply efficient. One doesn't need a breathalizer to know that a Kennedy is drunk.

Now it appears that Kennedy is going to seek treatment from perscription drug addiction. The incident is already off the CNN headline this AM, and something tells me that we won't be hearing about it for two years. In fact, shockingly, I would make a strong guess that there will be ZERO attempt to try to find out "how he got the pills", or any mug shots taken at all. Even if there were, it would be buried in the back pages of the MSM. The reason is pretty obvious ... he has a "D" next to his name, and of course in his name, the ultimate in lefty royalty, he is a Kennedy. I'd argue that is "just fine" ... the treatment of Kennedy, Favre and countless others with pain med additions in the media is generally correct. If they are famous, it is reported (especially if something like a car accident is associated with it), and then they are allowed to quietly seek treatment. Of course, Rush was not treated that way, nor would I expect a congressman with an "R" to be so treated by the MSM.

Virtually every one of the Limbaugh articles points out that "he made statements against drug addition on is radio show". I'm sure that Kennedy has never made any statements of that kind. Why, in his view, the only vice is probably people that have worked hard, made money, and tried to keep some of it rather than send it all to the Government. In the Kennedy school, the only valid way to have money is the old fashioned way, inheritance.

The media trips over itself to report the fallacy of people having any kind of standards. They are likely to fall short of them. The only safe position is "anything goes", and who is more consistent on that then the Kennedys? Clinton gave it a good try, but sex in the Oval Office still falls a bit short of murdering your girlfriend. Who knows, he still has time left and I'd never count Slick out in that kind of a race. I'm sure he would be very sorry, and the lip would even quiver a bit if he was left with no alternative but to murder a young girl. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for "great men".

Great men like Clinton and Teddy have to get a pass, but is there any limit to the abuse that should be heaped on someone that claims that there are such things as moral standards and then fall short of them? Well, according to Democrats, the MSM, and Satan, I guess not. Having just recently had plenty of vicodin in my diet and having had a drink or two in my time, my analysis is that equating "vicoden" and "drugs" in general is about like calling the Mona Lisa and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue "pictures".

My personal experience with Vicoden is that it does a darned good job of reducing or wiping out pain, doesn't make you feel "high", and mostly you at least "feel" like you can operate pretty naturally with it in your system. Based on Favre winning an MVP while apparently on it, Limbaugh no doubt on the radio with it, and me certainly doing work and reading with it, my guess is that analysis isn't very far off.

So why do they get addicted? Partially because Doctors seem to be willing to give out a lot of the stuff, which I suspect is "no problem" as long as the pain goes away in some reasonable time. Having had more than my share of knee surgery, back problems, elbow surgery, busted ribs, etc, I can attest that long term pain isn't all that much fun. Something that gives you freedom from pain and allows you to pretty much live as if you didn't have it (all be it with risks that are likely hard to quantify), is pretty darned enticing. Like a lot of addictions, it likely is well along the way before you really realize exactly how bad it is.

I'm also overweight. I work out 6-7 times a week for 40min+ on a stairmonster or other suitable torture device. I attempt to watch what I eat, but I really like food, and the bottom line is that I'm weak and eat too much. So, do I have to be in favor of perscription drug addiction since I feel I can understand it, and obesity, since I'm a "victim"? Ann did a great job of discussing this in
Lie Down With Strippers Wake up with Pleas so I won't try to cover the same ground here, other than to say "of course not".

The well known quote by the Frenchman whose name I can never recall; "Hypocrisy is the homage that virtue pays to vice" says a good part of it. To be a human and have any virtue at all is to be a hypocrite to some extent, often even a great extent. To not be a hypocrite is to be a liberal, but lacking virtue and wallowing in vice is quite a high price to pay for avoiding hypocrisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment