Friday, June 05, 2009

History Of Liberalism in US

Forbes.com - Magazine Article

Nice short academic article that just recites some history. Three waves of US liberalism:

1).Progressives.  Woodrow Wilson. The "vision of change" -- old is bad, new is good. Destruction of tradition.
2). Economic liberals, FDR, "extended rights". Forget "pursuit", you have the right to ACHIEVE food, a home, medical care, education, retirement, a well paying job you like -- tons of stuff. "Gimme liberals"
3). Cultural liberals. "freedom from morals" -- no fault divorce, gay rights, abortion, legal drugs, etc. "do what feels good" liberals.

BO is looking to extend all three of these waves, and the fact that each of them has done broad damage to America already in the past is of no concern. Understanding a liberal is essentially just understanding the world view of a two year old.

  • I'm a new phenomenon, forget all that has gone before me, be still and know that I am god.
  • I want it, I want it all, I want it right now, and I have no responsibility to do anything to get it. Make it so, Peons.
  • I'm going to do whatever I want to do and do it whenever and with whomever I like. Restrictions are evil and stupid, whatever feels good to me ought to be applauded and celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment