Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Suicide or Absurdity, The Flower of Postmodernism


This is worth a read to understand why suicide continues to rise along with all forms of substance abuse and hopelessness in our post-civilization world. I think his final paragraph summarizes it rather well.

He says, Sisyphus is the perfect model for us, since he has no illusions about his pointless situation and yet revolts against the circumstances. With every descent of the rock he makes a conscious decision to give it another go. He keeps pushing that rock and recognizes that this is what his existence is all about: to be truly alive, to keep pushing.
 To the extent that our modern secular world has any philosophic or theological "sense" at all, the sense is meaninglessness and absurdity. Like most of the secular, Shakespeare summed it up well

“Life ... is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

 The key to the life of absurdity and despair is that "it's all about poor me" -- But **I** will "heroically rebel" and "keep pushing" ... permanently. I will "grab for all the gusto I can!" I will sound like Obama ... I, I, I, I, I, I ... aye, aye, aye, aye, I am the Frito Bandito.



The Christian difference would be a life of SERVICE (to Christ and others) -- recognizing our "little i" as being tiny, and acknowledging the infinite  I AM (God), vs pushing your absurd rock up a hill day after day while raging against the meaninglessness of it all.

Eternal service or eternal rebellion? Christ or Satan -- it is and always has been a very stark choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment