Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Peter Singer Leads Atheist Intellectual to Christ

How Oxford and Peter Singer drove me from atheism to Jesus - The Veritas Forum - The Veritas Forum:

Well, he didn't intend to, but sometimes hearing evil incarnate proudly declares it's bloodlust has that effect.

Well worth the read, a teaser.

I remember leaving Singer’s lectures with a strange intellectual vertigo; I was committed to believing that universal human value was more than just a well-meaning conceit of liberalism. But I knew from my own research in the history of European empires and their encounters with indigenous cultures, that societies have always had different conceptions of human worth, or lack thereof. The premise of human equality is not a self-evident truth: it is profoundly historically contingent. I began to realise that the implications of my atheism were incompatible with almost every value I held dear.





'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment