Monday, November 21, 2016

I'm Not A Hater, No Thanksgiving For You

After the election, break up: You voted for Trump? You're off my list. - StarTribune.com:



When I read an article like this, I tend to read to the bottom hoping to find some lame sort of "I'm just angry, I'm not serious". I hope such is the case here, but no such message.

"I sent an e-mail to an in-law, telling him that his genial hockey buddy and Trump supporter friend Johnny was no longer welcome on Thanksgiving. 
I’m not a hater."
I grew up around Mennonites, later Amish, and have experienced other churches that believe in "shunning". If you fail to follow the dictates of the congregation and fall into sin, there comes a point where you are "out". I don't agree with this practice relative to religion, but I can understand it -- these groups are VERY serious about their following of doctrine, so at some point it is just too painful for them to be around someone that claims to be "part of their group", yet refuses to behave as a member of the group.



But politics? Unless we are talking true communist party politics where associating with errant people can lose you your party position or even your life, SERIOUSLY? I always thought I was treating "The Party" (TP-D) as a FUTURE danger, I never really thought were were already there in full, but with this guy, we certainly are.



I won't break bread on a holiday with a Trump voter because doing so would make ME a "hater"???



We aren't talking about allowing the Trump voter to go to his holy TP meeting,  or even be seen with him at a bar. We are talking about allowing a shoestring "relation" to break bread in his home on Thanksgiving!



I know I'm going way out on a limb here, but I'm thinking that the author of the column might find a person not allowing a gay, transgender, black, american indian, muslim, homeless person, one with tattoos and/or body piercings, etc, etc. into their home on Thanksgiving because they "didn't feel comfortable with them" might not be to his liking? Is it REMOTELY possible that since he feels as strongly about a Trump voter as he does that he now at least has some understanding of how an Amish family may feel about a relation who has a green mohawk, bones in the nose and a bunch of tattoos showing up for Thanksgiving?



I'm guessing not, because this sort of sanctimony tends to be so blind as to defy any sort of reason.



The article is hard and depressing to read. To see another human so blinded by politics that they are unable to even operate as a human anymore is a sad thing.



When you find yourself saying "I'm not a hater", or "I'm not a crook" (Nixon) or "Ive never lied and I never will" (Hillary) more than a few bells should be going off in your soul!

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment