Thursday, February 05, 2009

Hooray For Class Warfare

Boo Hoo in the Boardroom - Timothy Egan Blog - NYTimes.com

"Main-street" is happy to see BO slam CEOs that take bailout money with a $500K compensation maxium. Class warfare is back in town and the drums of war are beating in a festive mood -- rubbing the hands together with glee, "and now those evil CEOs get the shaft like we have all been getting". Even inside the big corporation, there are plenty of folks ready to see anyone sufficiently wealthier than them "get it".

Ah, human nature. True enough that greed is ramptant, but clearly so is envy. One thing about humans, we will never ever have a vice shortage. Kindness, mercy, thrift, intelligence, foresight, money, food, love -- all things good are often very limited, but of vices? Our cup overfloweth.

Funny thing about war. Oft times it turns out a whole lot less fun than the beginning. The old Klingon proverb; "Revenge is a dish best served cold"?

So that joyus task of "going after the undeserving" has begun. Obamanation indeed.

First they came for the CEOs -- I was happy, because I was not a CEO. Then they came for the wealthy -- I stood by, because I felt that many of them had too much. Then they came for the business owners -- I was glad I didn't own my own business. Then they came for me, and I was surprised.

Don't be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment